The second Part of the ADI qualifying examination makes sure you can drive to the standard required for driving instructors and that you know The Highway Code (and can demonstrate this by the way you drive). The test lasts about 60 minutes.
There are 5 parts to the approved driving instructor (ADI) part 2 test:
- An eyesight check
- ‘Show me, tell me’ vehicle safety questions
- general driving ability
- Independent driving
How long the test lasts
The test takes around one hour.
The eyesight test.
You’ll have to read a number plate from a distance of:
- 26.5 metres for vehicles with a new-style number plate
- 27.5 metres for vehicles with an old-style number plate
- Show me, tell me’ questions
You’ll be asked 5 vehicle safety questions known as the ‘show me, tell me’ questions. These test that you know how to carry out basic safety tasks.
You’ll be asked:
- 3 ‘tell me’ questions at the start of your test, before you start driving
- 2 ‘show me’ questions while you’re driving – for example, showing how to wash the windscreen using the car controls and wipers
You’ll get a driving fault for each incorrect answer you give.
Your general driving ability
You’ll have to show the examiner all of the following:
- Expert handling of the controls
- Use of correct road procedure
- Anticipation of the actions of other road users and then taking appropriate action
- Sound judgement of distance, speed and timing
- Consideration for the convenience and safety of other road users
- Driving in an environmentally-friendly manner
You’ll drive in varying road and traffic conditions, including motorways or dual carriageways where possible.
You might also be asked to carry out an emergency stop.
Reversing your vehicle
The examiner will ask you to do 2 of the following exercises:
- parallel park at the side of the road
- Reverse into a parking bay and drive out
- drive into a parking bay and reverse out
- pull up on the right-hand side of the road, reverse for around 2 car lengths, and re-join the traffic
You’ll have to drive for about 20 minutes by following either:
- Directions from a sat nav
- traffic signs
The examiner will tell you which you have to do.
Following directions from a sat nav
The examiner will provide the sat nav and set it up for you.
You cannot follow directions from your own sat nav during the test.
Going off the route
Your test result will not be affected if you take a wrong turning, unless you make a fault while doing it.
The examiner will help you get back on the route if you do.
If you cannot see traffic signs
If you cannot see a traffic sign (for example, because it’s covered by trees), the examiner will give you directions until you can see the next one.
If you make mistakes during your test
You can carry on if you make a mistake. It might not affect your test result if it’s not serious.
The examiner will only stop your test if they think your driving is a danger to other road users.
Faults and test result
There are 3 types of faults you can make:
- a dangerous fault – this involves actual danger to you, the examiner, the public or property
- a serious fault – something potentially dangerous
- a driving fault – this is not potentially dangerous, but if you keep making the same fault, it could become a serious fault
You’ll pass your approved driving instructor (ADI) part 2 test if you make:
- No more than 6 driving faults
- No serious or dangerous faults
If you pass your test
The examiner will:
- tell you what faults you made, if any
- give you a copy of the driving test report
If you do not pass
The examiner will
- Tell you what faults you made.
- You can take the test again if you fail at either your first or second attempt.
You have to book another test and pay again.
Failing the third attempt
You have to retake and pass the ADI part 1 test again if you fail the ADI part 2 test 3 times.
You have to wait 2 years from when you first passed the ADI part 1 test before you can take it again.
NOW YOU HAVE READ THE WORST CASE SCENARIOS – GIVE US A CALL AND LETS DISCUSS HOW WE CAN GET YOU ON THE ROAD AS A DRIVING INSTRUCTOR!
WE CAN HELP YOU GET YOUR DREAM JOB, TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE FOR A LOT LESS THAN YOU THINK!!